Monday, March 24, 2014

Bath Tangle

1309024
And what a complicated tangle it was! I was literally grinning when I read the last pages of this book. Serena and Rotherham has me laughing from start to finish! 
(*May contain some spoilers*)
In most of Heyer's books we read the comedy and we laugh and we listen to the banter of two characters that we know will fall in love by the end but until then are simply at odds with each other to keep the reader amused. Bath Tangle was the first Heyer I've read that I could really sense a depth of character behind the feisty front put up by both heroine and hero. It's apparent (to the reader) that they are in love with each other the whole time, and yet the story still focuses mainly on the comedy and the leads appear to hate each other until the end. (However, we know better. ^_^) We find in the end that ALL the misunderstandings and the whole tangled mess were all made up in hopes of getting the other to realize their feelings. Which, of course, never works. And then towards the end, there is thrown in to the story a new knot to the tangle that even the instigators hadn't expected, which adds an even more comical twist to things. 
Fanny was a wonderful character- I loved her friendship with Serena! It was so unique and was really adorable. ;)
Mrs Floore was such a riot! She had me laughing every time she made a scene! Loved her hand in untangling the mess at the end. So fun. ;)
Lady Laleham was a nasty woman. She was so heartless and selfish! There's always that character. >_<
Lybster- the butler- was, as always, awesome. ^_^ I've decided that I probably don't even NEED to mention in my reviews that the butler is always among my favorite characters. It's a guaranteed fact by now. 
My one negative from this book was that there were a few unnecessary curse words throughout the story, and towards the end Rotherham threw in a few which were really annoying and why I didn't give this a 5 star rating. It would be so nice to just have them all removed somehow. (Or not written in in the first place. :P )
Bath Tangle had a brilliant plot and was just as completely "Heyer" as all the others! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was satisfied and relieved with the unraveled outcome. Looking forward to reading another Heyer as soon as I can. :)

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment