Saturday, September 7, 2013

Interview with Jen Turano!

A warm welcome to Jen Turano, author of A Change of Fortune, A Most Peculiar Circumstance, Talent for Trouble, and Gentleman of Her Dreams! Thanks for being with us today. :)

Tell us a little about yourself.
I live outside of Denver, Colorado, with my husband, teenage son, and neurotic Cattle Dog, Sasha.  I’m originally from a small town in Ohio where I had an absolutely fabulous childhood and wouldn’t mind moving back there someday, although my husband and son don’t particularly seem keen on that idea.  I have a BA Degree in Clothing & Textiles and worked in fashion for years, but after one dreadful going-out-of business sale, I decided I’d had quite enough of that madness and settled down to being a mom.


What/Who inspired you to start writing?
I began writing when my son was in third grade.  We were struggling through the sixth book of a series about these, well, birds, and when we finally made it to the end, my son proclaimed that the stories I’d told him as a small child to keep him occupied in his jogger stroller while I tried to get some exercise were better than what we’d just read.  We decided to write our own middle grade story and while that story will never see the light of day, it reminded me that I’d always enjoyed the written word and I’ve been writing ever since.          A Change of Fortune (Ladies of Distinction, #1)A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)Gentleman of Her Dreams (Ladies of Distinction, #0.5)A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction #3)
Haha! Well I'm glad you decided to start writing- I absolutely LOVED "A Change of Fortune", and I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of your written words. ;)

What is your favorite quote from "A Change of Fortune"?
“Yes, I see your point,” Zayne said.  “I don’t know what these officers were thinking, divesting a criminal of her weapon.”
LOL That's great! I really liked Zayne- he made me laugh, but was also really sweet. :) 
(haha, not sure if this is exactly what her gun would've looked like... ;))


Which is your favorite of your characters?
Miss Agatha Watson  - She’s been with me throughout all the books (four books and a novella) which has caused me to become rather attached to her – and…she’s just so quirky I can’t help but adore her.
Aw, that's so awesome! She really is a great character! She made me laugh out loud in A Change of Fortune. Quirky- yes! That's what makes her incredible. ;)

What is your favorite book/author, and why?
Ain’t She Sweet – by Susan Elizabeth Phillips – It was a wonderful story and Susan Elizabeth Phillips just has this way of capturing the true essence of a town and of its characters.  I loved the interaction between old friends and the romance was completely sigh-worthy.


Can you tell us about your current writing project?
I just received the edits for book four in the Ladies of Distinction Series – A Match of Wits – so I’ll be working on those for at least a month.  I have recently finished the first book in a new series, currently untitled, but that series is going to revolve around ladies who are not of the wealthy class – but working.  The heroine in the first book, Miss Harriet Peabody, comes to form an unlikely alliance with Mr. Oliver Addleshaw, one of the wealthiest gentlemen in America, and as soon as they meet, mayhem begins.
Wow, I really can't wait to read this! :D

What is your favorite Period Drama film?  
           Pride and Prejudice – but the newest version – the one with Keira Knightley. 
Ah great movie!!! :D I love the music in this movie, and the portrayal of the regency era. Great actors and actresses, too.
This makes me want to watch it again! :)

Tea or coffee? :)
Coffee – but only in the morning – before 7:00 - and it has to have a lot of creamer in it.
Great way to start your day off! :D I like mine with lots of creamer too. 

Are there any specific things/surroundings you like to have when writing?
Not really – once I’m writing, I’m pretty oblivious to my surroundings – and I get really cranky if I’m interrupted because I have the attention span of a gnat.
If I’m in the midst of a great idea and something interrupts that – the idea will vanish into thin air – never to be seen or thought about again.

 
Interesting- makes you wonder how different your books would have been had there been no interruptions, huh? ;)
But at least your not easily distracted- that's gotta be convenient. :))


If you could visit any where in the world, where would you go?
I’m really partial to the east coast and love Rhode Island, Maine and all parts of New York. 

Both are such great places! I've never been to either, but would love to visit them!


Is there a Bible verse that has especially been an encouragement to you as you write?
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying “This is the way, walk in it.”  Isaiah 30:21
I love that verse! It's so amazing and such a blessing that God takes care of us and tells us where to go/what to do. He's always watching out for us! :) <3


Thanks so much for your time, Jen, and the visit! It was great to have you here.
Thank you so much for having me and I wish you much success with your blog.


Sincrely,

5 comments:

  1. I love Jen Turano! Really need to read more from her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read the rest of hers as well. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Nicole and Alice:) Hope you enjoy the rest of the series - and I just got this idea for a different series - The Wallflowers - while I was trimming the yard no less...we'll have to see what develops:) Have a great weekend!

      All the best,

      ~ Jen ~

      Delete
    3. Ooh that sounds interesting! :D
      Thanks so much for everything- I'll let you know what I think of the rest of the Ladies of Distinction series!! :))

      Have a blessed Sunday!
      Alice

      Delete
  2. I LOVED A Change of Fortune! Great book. I really liked that the main character stood up for herself, and she did it respectfully. I liked the America/English connection as we have a dear friend across the puddle. ;)
    I prefer for things not to be drawn out overly long, so I was glad that different things came to conclusion in a timely manner.
    I laughed so hard when I read, "Everyone, out!" That would be me. :)
    Looking forward to reading the rest of this series and also the yard inspired Wallflowers series! :)


    ReplyDelete