Saturday, August 31, 2013

Interview with Nicole Sager!







 

A big welcome to Nicole Sager, author of The Heart of Arcrea, The Fate of Arcrea, and The Isle of Arcrea! Thanks for being with us today. :)

What got you interested in writing?
I don't think I had any specific event that spurred a desire, but I do remember being about 8 or 9 and deciding that I wanted to make an interactive picture book. So my first attempt at writing took place in my room with a bunch of paper, glue, and staples. It's still sitting in a box in my room. After that, I found I enjoyed trying to describe everything around me with different words until the right description fit. 
That's so cool! You definitely do a good job at it. :)

Which is your favorite of your characters (so far)?
 ​ Oh wow! I don't know if I could pick just one! I really enjoyed the comical friendship between Talon & Bracy, and I love Falconer - there are just so many options available for his character! Then of course, I also loved Druet, Renny, and Nathaniel... So many friends! Let me answer this way: My favorite type of character to write about is a comical character who has some depth.  
Falconer will always be my personal favorite! :D 

Are there any specific things/surroundings you need when you are writing for long periods of time?
 ​ I usually need an organized space. My notepad and pen, my notebook w/ a cheat sheet full of character stats, and I love a cup of coffee at my elbow :)

Can you tell a little about your current writing project?
 ​ Of course! I'm currently working on the first book in a new series called Companions of Arcrea. They'll be companion novels to the Arcrean Conquest series, and also take place in the same fantasy world. For instance, book one, tentatively titled "Hebbros", is set in a Mizgalian city and takes place before and after the stories in the Arcrean Conquest
"Hebbros" is the story of a boy named Luke who is growing up in the changing times of a dark city. When his family is torn apart by the edicts of an evil ruler, Luke and his friends find themselves the minority as they seek to wage war on a host of enemies. Amid a multitude of characters, readers of Arcrea will recognize several friends!
I'm really looking forward to reading this, and all of your writing, in the hopefully-not-so-far future, and encountering old acquaintances! :) 
In your book "The Heart of Arcrea",  which character did you have the most fun writing about?
 ​ I think I would have to say either Blunt the minstrel, or Talon & Bracy (I just have to list them together!)
This is the cover for my new book!
Haha, I do too! I love reading books with those types of duos. :) Some of my favorite quotes from The Heart came from Blunt! ;))

What is your favorite Period Drama film?
 ​ I love all the Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, and several Dickens films. My favorite is BBC's "Sense & Sensibility" (2008). And Cranford!
 
Ah, such wonderful films! and some of my favorites as well. 

If you could visit any one place in the world, where would it be?
The cottage in "Sense & Sensibility" :) On a more local scale - I love to visit BransonMissouri, where my brother and sister work at Sight & Sound Theatre.
 
I love the view of the sea from that cottage! <3 
I love Sight and Sound theatres! Their production of Joseph is incredible!

 What is your favorite season?
 ​ I love Autumn - still cooling off, but not too hot!
Same here! I love all the colors of autumn; and apple cider! :)
 
 What do you like to do when not writing?
  Read. Read. And read.
Haha! Good answer. ;)
 
 Tea or coffee?
 Coffee, with Truvia sweetener and creme brulee creamer
Yummm!! =)

 
 Socks, or no socks? 
That depends on the season. Summer, no socks. The rest of the year, ankle socks!
 
 When do you decide you need to stop writing for the day?
 When I look up and realize everyone else has been in bed for 2 or 3 hours! Sometimes it's when I get to the end of a chapter, or just come to a standstill and draw a blank. Then it's time for coffee and reading someone else's book!

Is there a Bible verse that has really stuck out and encouraged you as you've been writing?
 Psalm 70:4b "Let God be magnified." and Acts 20:19a "Serving the LORD with all humility of mind" ~ These verses always remind me that God is my purpose, serving Him is my goal, and glorifying Him is the aim of every word I write.
Those are great verses! God's Word is so powerful and amazing!

Thanks so much for your time, Nicole! It was great to have you here! :)

Sincerely,


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Alice! I love the pictures you chose for the interview :)
    God bless you!
    ~Nicole Sager

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, my pleasure! :)
      I had fun picking them out! ;)
      Blessings!
      Alice<3

      Delete
  2. Great interview! Nice chat between you two and nice to hear from Nicole :)

    ~ Starshining4ever from Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! This is so cool! :o D <3 Love ya both, Nicole and Alice! :o )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a 'fun' review! That's the only way to describe it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very intrigued to read your books Nicole! Another great interview Alice!!!

    ReplyDelete