Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Quote-A-Day: Sense and Sensibility



“The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!” 

“When I fall in love, it will be forever.”  (one of my favorite Jane Austen quotes!)

“If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy.” 


“She was sensible and clever, but eager in everything; her sorrows, her joys, could have no moderation.” 

“Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.”  (poor Mary ;))

“It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.” 

“It is not everyone,' said Elinor, 'who has your passion for dead leaves.” 

“Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience- or give it a more fascinating name, call it hope.” 

“It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy;—it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.” 

“I never wish to offend, but I am so foolishly shy, that I often seem negligent, when I am only kept back by my natural awkwardness ... Shyness is only the effect of a sense of inferiority in some way or other. If I could persuade myself that my manners were perfectly easy and graceful, I should not be shy.” 

“I come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is and always will be yours.” 

“I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself.” 

“Elinor could sit still no longer. She almost ran out of the room, and as soon as the door was closed, burst into tears of joy, which at first she thought would never cease.” 

“Eleanor went to her room "where she was free to think and be wretched.” 

“I have not wanted syllables where actions have spoken so plainly.” 

“I never wish to offend, but I am so foolishly shy, that I often seem negligent, when I am only kept back by my natural awkwardness."

“Mrs. Jennings was a widow, with an ample jointure. She had only two daughters, both of whom she had lived to see respectably married, and she had now therefore nothing to do but to marry all the rest of the world.” 

“I am excessively fond of a cottage; there is always so much comfort, so much elegance about them. And I protest, if I had any money to spare, I should buy a little land and build one myself, within a short distance of London, where I might drive myself down at any time, and collect a few friends about me and be happy. I advise everybody who is going to build, to build a cottage.” 

“What do you know of my heart? What do you know of anything but your own suffering. For weeks, Marianne, I've had this pressing on me without being at liberty to speak of it to a single creature. It was forced on me by the very person whose prior claims ruined all my hope. I have endured her exultations again and again whilst knowing myself to be divided from Edward forever. Believe me, Marianne, had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you.”  (poor Eleanor!)

“That is what I like; that is what a young man ought to be. Whatever be his pursuits, his eagerness in them should know no moderation, and leave him no sense of fatigue.” 

“Yes, I found myself, by insensible degrees, sincerely fond of her; and the happiest hours of my life were what I spent with her.” 

“He listened to her with silent attention, and on her ceasing to speak, rose directly from his seat, and after saying in a voice of emotion, 'To your sister I wish all imaginable happiness; to Willoughby, that he may endeavor to deserve her,' took leave, and went away.” 

“At first sight, his address is certainly not striking; and his person can hardly be called handsome, till the expression of his eyes, which are uncommonly good, and the general sweetness of his countenance, is perceived.” 

“Marianne was silent; it was impossible for her to say what she did not feel, however trivial the occasion…” 

“I think him every thing that is worthy and amiable.” 

“His temper might perhaps be a little soured [...]'Mr. Palmer is just the kind of man I like,” (Lol ;))

“And Elinor, in quitting Norland and Edward, cried not as I did. Even now her self-command is invariable. When is she dejected or melancholy? When does she try to avoid society, or appear restless and dissatisfied in it?” 

When it comes to Jane Austen's I could post quotes all day! :D

Sincerely,


1 comment: