Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Quote-A-Day: Pride and Prejudice



“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” 

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” 

“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” 

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” 

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.” 

“Angry people are not always wise.” 

“Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” 

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” 

“What are men to rocks and mountains?” 

“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” 

“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.” 

“I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.” 

“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?” 

“Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.” 


“From the very beginning— from the first moment, I may almost say— of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.” 

“To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love.”

 “I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.” 

“You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” 

“You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” 

“Till this moment I never knew myself.” 

“He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman's daughter. So far we are equal.” 

“My good opinion once lost is lost forever.” 

“Oh, Lizzy! do anything rather than marry without affection.” 

“She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me, and I am in no humor at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men.” 

“It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.” 

“I am excessively diverted. ” 

“You have bewitched me, body and soul.” 

Sincerely,





1 comment:

  1. Love all these quotes! They are brilliant and definitely the best ones from this amazing novel!

    ReplyDelete