Monday, August 19, 2013

Quote-A-Day: Northanger Abbey


Jane Austen

I could have gone on and on - I love this book so much! =D Catherine is such a fun heroine and Tilney is my favorite Jane Austen hero. :)

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” 

“It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language” 

“No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment.” 

“Oh! I am delighted with the book! I should like to spend my whole life in reading it.” 

“If I could not be persuaded into doing what I thought wrong, I will never be tricked into it.” 

“Now I must give one smirk, and then we may be rational again." Catherine turned away her head, not knowing whether she might venture to laugh. "I see what you think of me," said he gravely -- "I shall make but a poor figure in your journal tomorrow." 
"My journal!"
"Yes, I know exactly what you will say: Friday, went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings -- plain black shoes -- appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer, half-witted man, who would make me dance with him, and distressed me by his nonsense." 


“Beware how you give your heart.” 

“No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be a heroine... But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine...” 

“She mediated, by turns, on broken promises and broken arches, phaetons and false hangings, Tilneys and trap-doors.” 

“A mother would have been always present. A mother would have been a constant friend; her influence would have been beyond all other. ” 

“The person, be it gentlemen or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”  (a personal favorite! ;))

“…she had nothing to do but to forgive herself and be happier than ever…” 

Sincerely,



No comments:

Post a Comment